Wednesday, September 23, 2009

10 Self Imposed Road Blocks for Women Starting Businesses Part II


So are you still dreaming of the possibilities?  Have you taken the time to absorb Part I of this series and over come the first three road blocks?  Have you noticed the recurring theme?  Most of the barriers that women put up are mental or at least have to be dealt with mentally.  So far we have discussed the first three road blocks that women put up when facing the possibility of starting their own businesses. 

ROAD BLOCK #1 - Not Enough Money
ROAD BLOCK #2 - Negative Self Talk
ROAD BLOCK #3 - Comfort Zone Addiction 

Today we will focus on the next four road blocks.

ROAD BLOCK #4 - Doubting Your Business Idea - Oh you knew I would get to it eventually - the big "D" word and I'm not talkin' divorce.  No sister, the big "D" word is Doubt. 
That nasty little nagging creature that masquerades itself as truth.  You hear it all the time and especially from women "I thought about starting a business doing ______________ , but the economy is slow and maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all."  I think doubt may be something that we pass down from generation to generation (like guilt) and I am here to tell you it is time to stop.  I recently read a great article called "Is doubt getting in the way of your creations?" by Bernita Burdick in which she states that evidence eliminates doubt.  So instead of letting doubt stop you from starting a business you should check out the evidence to the contrary.

Tip # 4 - Do some research about your business idea to see if it is viable and then when doubt shows up remind it that you already know the truth!


ROAD BLOCK #5 - Not Knowing Where To Start - I have three words for you - Strategize, Strategize, Strategize.  A strategy is simply a course of action.  I know it can sound scary but it does not have to be anything huge at this point - you just have to come up with one so you can move forward.  The easiest way to do this is to work with a strategist that specializes in new business development.  There are resources online and through the Chamber of Commerce or local colleges.

Tip # 5 - Strategize, Strategize, Strategize 

ROAD BLOCK #6 - Not Smart Enough - With this one I am going to go one step further - I have had people say to me they feel too stupid to do it.  Stupid is defined as lacking intelligence.  I will put myself out on the limb to say that anyone reading this is not lacking intelligence!  My question for you is "If you are taught, can you learn?"  If so then there is a simple answer to feeling like you are not smart enough - find someone or somewhere to ask questions.  It is really simple.  I think there are huge misconceptions about successful business people and one is that they do not want to help anyone else succeed.  Actually it is very flattering to have someone ask your opinion.  Unless you are asking for trade secrets, most business people will give you straight forward answers to your questions.

Tip # 6 - Ask someone the questions to get the answers you need to move forward.  Remember being not smart enough is a self-imposed road block.        

ROAD BLOCK #7 - Feeling You Have To Know Everything Before You Can Start - I have to say that I have suffered from this at different times in my life.  This may not give you much comfort but I must tell you, you will never know everything.  Being in business is an ever evolving learning opportunity with on the job training.  If you have done your market research, defined your product or service, described your perfect customer or client and done the reasonable leg work necessary to make your first sale then step out on faith.  Faith does not rest on logical proof as much as it does on your confident belief in what you deem to be truth.

Tip # 7- Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment